Thursday, August 15, 2013

School Shopping

This year has been so incredibly different then most. Most years, my kids are dying to go back to school by about 3 weeks into summer vacation, and I start getting antsy by the 9th week. This year, school REALLY snuck up on us though. I realized last night that school starts this Monday and we haven't prepared at all! Grandma DID buy them some pencil cases, but beyond that......

So today I took the kids up to do some school shopping. My number 1 place to go is always Old Navy. My husband helped me get the kids ready, we dropped my husband off at work, and I headed up with all the kids. I was in such a hurry (we had to get my husband back to work) that I didn't really pay any attention to what exactly my husband dressed the little girls in......Lets just say my usually very put together little girls were replaced by street urchins. 

Paisley was the worst in all pink (and all pink does NOT match), her shirt was dirty, there was a hole in her leggings by her bum, and her shoes were incredibly mismatched. At least there was one left shoe and one right shoe. Obviously I HAD to get those poor little kids a decent outfit from the clearance rack. 

We walked around the store for ages. First to the bathroom, and I was very proud of my girls getting that job done quickly and efficiently. There was quite a line that formed. 

Then we went to the backpack section. After all chose backpacks we walked over to the girls section to get Aevarie some shoes. Of course she was interested in the ones I thought were the most ugly, and I wont lie, I was beyond thrilled that they didn't have any in her size. Of course the little girls were taking their shoes off to try on shoes as well. Then after finding a pair she liked and that fit, we went over to the boys side to find Gavin some shoes. We found 1 pair in his size! I was so thankful that they had ones he liked! Too, he's in a size 5 now! When on earth did THAT happen?? 

Zoe and Paisley were still playing with their shoes, not putting them on. And if we had had a cart and I wasn't holding Jude, I would have just put them back on myself, but I didn't have THAT patience. I told them to grab their shoes and we were now going to fix the "street urchin" children problem. We found both girls a shirt and a pair of shorts each and we got them new shoes. 

We head up to the cash register and after paying for everything, I realize Paisleys mismatched shoes were NOT in the cart. I send Gavin to go take a quick look, and he couldn't find them, so then we all head back to into the store, retracing our steps. We ask employees. I'm asking Paisley if she remembered where she left them, which she is 3 and just pouted. I COULD have left and just hoped someone would find them, but one of them was from my absolutely favorite pair of shoes of theirs, AND it's over an hour drive from our house. I was NOT leaving that store without those shoes! 

After spending about 30 minutes looking, I finally find them on a shelf in a pile of shirts. PHEW! I know they're shoes, but one of them was my favorite!! 

I also loved all the glares I was receiving as I was herding my hoard of children around, asking my 3 year old over and over if she left them over here? What about over there?? 

Finally we were able to leave the store!!

Maybe God knew I needed it, but as we walked out the front door a lady passing by saw me with all of my children and said, "You are awesome! Look at you go with all those kids!"

I can say that we are now ready for school!!! 

1 comment: